We are here to help!
Here are our frequently asked questions.
Guides and Instructions
The general purpose of guides is simple: providing a simple and better understanding of products with step-to-step procedures through text, images and video explanations.
- The editor has the option to create a single guide.
- Each guide contains several topics. These topics on their turn provide valuable product instructions that help users complete tasks regarding the product.
- The topics inside of a guide contain instructions.
- Instructions that belong to the same topic are connected to each other since they share the same purpose.
- A single instruction does not contain other instructions.
- A single instructions is not connected to other topics since its purpose is unique and linked to the topic. Sometimes it can, however, be necessary to link instructions internally to each other by hyperlinking.
- Sometimes the title of the topic can be invisible. You can choose to do this when you do not have many instructions inside your topic to save your users from continuously clicking to go through the guide. You can press the eye button to make the title invisible.
- Every guide contains several topics. Each topic has its own instructions whose content shares the purpose of the topic. Example: If the topic title is ‘Unboxing your product’, the topic will contain instructions with content related to unboxing and unpacking the product. These topics are connected in the guide.
- Instructions of which the names are related to another purpose such as ‘Using the product’ will belong to a different topic. They will not be related to the instructions that belong in different topics, unless they will be linked internally.
- When creating instructions inside a guide, the editor has to publish the instructions and the guide itself to make the created content visible to the homepage of SwipeGuide users. Note: Each instruction has to be published separately.
- If the editor has forgotten to publish the instructions, the guide will stay empty. Users will not be able to see the information within the guide.
Guides always have to be published first before they appear on the homepage of SwipeGuide. If the editor forgets to publish the guide, it will not become visible and therefore not usable for users.
You can delete a guide by archiving it. You find this option under the ‘options’ button on the guide cover.
You can find the style and branding settings when you click on your own name in the upper right corner when logged in to the platform. Then press “admin settings” and “theme management”. The default font and size can be changed here. The font and size of every individual instruction can be changed on the “step” level when creating instructions.
You will have to reassign the guide to the other editor in order for them to make changes. However, reassigning is very easy and quick so that should not be a problem. You can assign it back to the ‘first’ editor once it has been reviewed and changes/additions have been made.
It is NOT possible to copy instructions to another guide/platform, however, it is possible to copy instructions within the same guide.
In the draft guide you have a ‘preview guide’ button next to the ‘publish guide’. By pressing Preview you can check the guide and publish the guide afterward.
In order to use the instruction ratings, you must create a campaign. You can do that by first clicking on “Measure care” and then clicking “new”. You can then select and create questions and answers for your campaign. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
The editor can create new categories in the “Admin settings” page. In this page, the editor can find the “Category management” field. In this field he/she can create new categories or delete existing categories.
- Categories that already contain guides cannot be deleted. Only so called ‘empty’ categories, that don’t contain any guides, can be deleted.
- Categories that contain other sub-categories also cannot be deleted. The subcategories must first be placed under another category or be deleted before the category itself can be deleted.
Photos and Videos
The speed of the uploader depends on the size of the pictures and videos. Content with a bigger size needs more time to upload than content with a smaller size. Smaller pictures upload faster than bigger pictures. The same goes for smaller vs. bigger videos.
The recommended ratio to use for images is 4:3.
The recommended resolution to use for images is 976:732 pixels.
The maximum size for uploading images on the platform is 5MB.
There is no maximum length for uploading microvideos. However, we emphasize to keep it as short as possible.
The recommended ratio to use for videos is 4:3.
The maximum size for uploading videos is 20MB.
The recommended resolution to use for images is (976:732) can be used, but the resolution may be lower as HD videos have a lower loading time.
The cover uploader of a guide supports image files only. You can however upload animated GIF to create a moving effect on your cover.
The desktop version does not have auto-play integrated, which means that videos will not start playing. To check whether your videos are playing, enter the app on your mobile device.
In the mobile version you can open images in full-screen by:
- Opening the instruction you like to see
- Go to the step of which you want to see the picture
- Press the picture (It will appear on fullscreen)
You have to set your browser to the format 4:3 (1200×800) to make sure that your screen fits the standard format of SwipeGuide. This will make sure that your screenshots fit precisely.
Embedding a Guide/Instruction on my Website
When you are making your Guide you have several sharing options. One of these options is to make an iframe on your website by using the embed code of the guide.
- Go to your Guide
- Press ‘Edit Guide’
- Go to the ‘Cover’ tab
- Press the ‘Share’ button (a pop-up will appear with QR, Embed code and sharing URL)
- Press the ‘Embed’ button and press ‘Copy embed code’ (you can now use this code to make an iframe on your website to the Guide)
When you are making your Guide you have several sharing options, for the guide as well for the Instructions themselves. If you want to make an iframe of one single Instruction, you have to use the embed code of this Instruction.
- Go to the specific instruction
- Press the ‘Sharing’ button next to the title of your Instruction (a pop-up will appear with QR, Embed code and sharing URL)
- Press the ‘Embed’ button and press ‘Copy embed code’ (you can now use this code to make an iframe on your website to the specific Instruction)
The starting language is based on the browser language of the individual user.
- If the language is not supported, the platform automatically switches to English as a default language.
- Within the guides you can set your own default language to which you want it to switch when the user language is not supported.
If you do not translate a certain step and do not fill in anything at the translation, the field will be blank when you import your new language.
Software Aspects and Platform Features
Our software allows to publish content online through our web-app for desktop and mobile devices. Content creation is done through our content management system where you will be able to add tasks, steps and content for both of them.
We offer content production services as a separate activity of our company, but the product itself does not create content for you.
It is indeed possible to create a secured login for the end-user (employee).
With our application you will be able to track your digital and visual user guides on performance in two ways next to general tracking analytics, namely;
- Consumers can give qualitative feedback on a guide or a step in a guide
- When using a guide, the extent to which a user is successful in executing his/her task with the guide is measured (yes/no kind of feedback option)
We are a European company based in the Netherlands. Our software application can be used to create, edit and publish user instructions. Companies that use the software to create, edit and share those instructions have complete ownership and control over all data/content the publish with that software.
With regards to how we secure data from our client, for our clients we are compliant to the GDPR regulation that comes into effect on may 1st 2018 for all European Companies. In short, HIPAA is not applicable to our software in itself, it is applicable to the content published with our software and that content is owned by the client.
- E.g. if your company takes a subscription to our software, your company will be the owner of the data and content. Therefore, the HIPAA applies to your company and not the instruction software you use to make the content.
There is no installation required. The end-users just need to visit the URL while they are online. It is presented to user as an URL that will open within their web-browser. We do support things like adding a link to the home screen of the device so the mobile application behaves, looks and feels like a native app while being web-based.
If you create a new user the user will be added to the platform. You have to send an email with login credentials separately. This is NOT automatically done by the platform.
Yes. You can insert a link that goes to another instruction when you are creating your steps.
It depends on the phone you have. Some phones already have a QR-scanner integrated. If opening your camera towards the QR code does not trigger any reaction, you have to go to the settings of your camera to activate this. If you do NOT have that option in the camera settings and it is not working automatically, you will have to download a free QR-scanner from the Google Play Store or App Store.
When you want to see the feedback received from a guide, you need to click on the guide, and then click on “Feedback” in the guide editor menu.
SwipeGuide is a smart web app. You do not have to download anything.
Users can communicate with the creator of a guide via the app. Via the ‘Feedback’ function they can send out remarks or notes for the editor. These remarks/notes are not visible for other users, only for the editor.
When you sign up for a trial you publish your guide to app.swipeguide.com. You can manage your guide here and brand it as you wish. Your guides would look like the ones you currently see there now, but filled with your own content.
We have several ways to use QR codes. First, you can use the QR code of an entire guide or use the QR code from a specific instruction.
- It is not possible for you to see the guides you have archived, nor to recover them by yourself. A colleague of the development team will recover the guide for you.
- Ask for name of the guide.
3 options here: either
1) link to asking for new password in SG4SG
2) refer them to the ‘Forgot password?’ button or
3) use their email to send them a recover mail for the password → See below for possible response.
- We have sent you an email to set up a new password. Make sure to check your spam-box to see if it landed there. If you do not receive an email, please let us know.
We provide customers in different areas with different kind of instructions. We provide product- as well as work instructions. These can vary from the first how-to-use to processes that have to be executed for machines f.e.
If you have your own platform it is possible to adjust the supportive icons as you like over the admin settings.
We currently do not have the option to allow videos to be repeated in the circuit. We will pass your suggestion to the technical department so it will be taken into account for the future development of the platform.
- On your platform you can ask the platform admin to change the theme for you. The theme includes the desired colors.
- If you are the platform admin you can make the changes yourself by clicking on ‘Platform Customization’ in the left column. You can add a new theme here or edit the existing theme.
At the moment it is not possible to create GIF files in the editor. You can use any free GIF-maker online to create your GIF files and upload them to the platform.
If you go to your guide and click on ‘Share Guide’, you will see the QR code, URL and Embed code. You can copy this QR code to your desired location, f.e. a document and print it out. This way you can always access your guide by scanning the QR code.
You can click on ‘Organizations’ in the left column and add a new user by clicking ‘New’ under ‘Actions’. If you do not see ‘Organizations’ in the left column it means that you are not authorized to create new users. You will have to ask your platform admin to create the user for you.