We are here to help!
Here are our frequently asked questions.
Guides and Instructions
The general purpose of guides is simple: providing a simple and better understanding of products with step-to-step procedures through text, images and video explanations.
- The editor has the option to create a single guide.
- Each guide contains several topics. These topics on their turn provide valuable product instructions that help users complete tasks regarding the product.
- The topics inside of a guide contain instructions.
- Instructions that belong to the same topic are connected to each other since they share the same purpose.
- A single instruction does not contain other instructions.
- A single instructions is not connected to other topics since its purpose is unique and linked to the topic. Sometimes it can, however, be necessary to link instructions internally to each other by hyperlinking.
- Sometimes the title of the topic can be invisible. You can choose to do this when you do not have many instructions inside your topic to save your users from continuously clicking to go through the guide. You can press the eye button to make the title invisible.
- Every guide contains several topics. Each topic has its own instructions whose content shares the purpose of the topic. Example: If the topic title is ‘Unboxing your product’, the topic will contain instructions with content related to unboxing and unpacking the product. These topics are connected in the guide.
- Instructions of which the names are related to another purpose such as ‘Using the product’ will belong to a different topic. They will not be related to the instructions that belong in different topics, unless they will be linked internally.
- When creating instructions inside a guide, the editor has to publish the instructions and the guide itself to make the created content visible to the homepage of SwipeGuide users. Note: Each instruction has to be published separately.
- If the editor has forgotten to publish the instructions, the guide will stay empty. Users will not be able to see the information within the guide.
Guides always have to be published first before they appear on the homepage of SwipeGuide. If the editor forgets to publish the guide, it will not become visible and therefore not usable for users.
The editor can create new categories in the “Admin settings” page. In this page, the editor can find the “Category management” field. In this field he/she can create new categories or delete existing categories.
- Categories that already contain guides cannot be deleted. Only so called ‘empty’ categories, that don’t contain any guides, can be deleted.
- Categories that contain other sub-categories also cannot be deleted. The subcategories must first be placed under another category or be deleted before the category itself can be deleted.
Photos and Videos
The speed of the uploader depends on the size of the pictures and videos. Content with a bigger size needs more time to upload than content with a smaller size. Smaller pictures upload faster than bigger pictures. The same goes for smaller vs. bigger videos.
The recommended ratio to use for images is 4:3.
The recommended resolution to use for images is 976:732 pixels.
The maximum size for uploading images on the platform is 5MB.
There is no maximum length for uploading microvideos. However, we emphasize to keep it as short as possible.
The recommended ratio to use for videos is 4:3.
There is no maximum size for uploading videos.
The recommended resolution to use for images is (976:732) can be used, but the resolution may be lower as HD videos have a lower loading time.
The cover uploader of a guide supports image files only. You can however upload animated GIF to create a moving effect on your cover.
The desktop version does not have auto-play integrated, which means that videos will not start playing. To check whether your videos are playing, enter the app on your mobile device.
In the mobile version you can open images in full-screen by:
- Opening the instruction you like to see
- Go to the step of which you want to see the picture
- Press the picture (It will appear on fullscreen)
You have to set your browser to the format 4:3 (1200×800) to make sure that your screen fits the standard format of SwipeGuide. This will make sure that your screenshots fit precisely.
Embedding a Guide/Instruction on my Website
When you are making your Guide you have several sharing options. One of these options is to make an iframe on your website by using the embed code of the guide.
- Go to your Guide
- Press ‘Edit Guide’
- Go to the ‘Cover’ tab
- Press the ‘Share’ button (a pop-up will appear with QR, Embed code and sharing URL)
- Press the ‘Embed’ button and press ‘Copy embed code’ (you can now use this code to make an iframe on your website to the Guide)
When you are making your Guide you have several sharing options, for the guide as well for the Instructions themselves. If you want to make an iframe of one single Instruction, you have to use the embed code of this Instruction.
- Go to the specific instruction
- Press the ‘Sharing’ button next to the title of your Instruction (a pop-up will appear with QR, Embed code and sharing URL)
- Press the ‘Embed’ button and press ‘Copy embed code’ (you can now use this code to make an iframe on your website to the specific Instruction)
The starting language is based on the browser language of the individual user.
- If the language is not supported, the platform automatically switches to English as a default language.
- Within the guides you can set your own default language to which you want it to switch when the user language is not supported.
If you do not translate a certain step and do not fill in anything at the translation, the field will be blank when you import your new language.
Yes. The usage of our application and the publishing of a SwipeGuide is based on a monthly subscription. The different pricing strategies will work for different kinds of usage.
Yes. Our product is suitable for any company. it might be good to check out the subscriptions under Pricing. Here you can find more information regarding subscriptions.
It includes 1.000 unique views per month. If this is exceeded, an additional cost per unique view per month (of 0.02 to 0.05) has to be paid (depending on the volume).
The professional price is per month and includes a certain amount of users per month.
Software Aspects and Platform Features
Our software allows to publish content online through our web-app for desktop and mobile devices. Content creation is done through our content management system where you will be able to add tasks, steps and content for both of them.
We offer content production services as a separate activity of our company, but the product itself does not create content for you.
It is indeed possible to create a secured login for the end-user (employee).
With our application you will be able to track your digital and visual user guides on performance in two ways next to general tracking analytics, namely;
- Consumers can give qualitative feedback on a guide or a step in a guide
- When using a guide, the extent to which a user is successful in executing his/her task with the guide is measured (yes/no kind of feedback option)
We are a European company based in the Netherlands. Our software application can be used to create, edit and publish user instructions. Companies that use the software to create, edit and share those instructions have complete ownership and control over all data/content the publish with that software.
With regards to how we secure data from our client, for our clients we are compliant to the GDPR regulation that comes into effect on may 1st 2018 for all European Companies. In short, HIPAA is not applicable to our software in itself, it is applicable to the content published with our software and that content is owned by the client.
- E.g. if your company takes a subscription to our software, your company will be the owner of the data and content. Therefore, the HIPAA applies to your company and not the instruction software you use to make the content.
There is no installation required. The end-users just need to visit the URL while they are online. It is presented to user as an URL that will open within their web-browser. We do support things like adding a link to the home screen of the device so the mobile application behaves, looks and feels like a native app while being web-based.
SwipeGuide is suitable for use in the field of work instructions as well as operational instructions.